The commonly used term RTO, in relation to the courier services/e-commerce or trade world, at times draw our attention. Have you ever guessed the abbreviation of the same or what does the term refer to? In e-commerce trade, the term rto full form in courier is defined as Return to origin. It simply refers to the process of an undelivered package being returned to the sender or to the address from where it was sent.
The online shipping process is inclusive of the duration of delivery, tiresome process of packing, etc. explains the significance of RTO as an important part of the complete chain process of e-shipping. Everyone is aware that each specific term has some special significance in the respective field.
The real essence for the topic: RTO meaning and relatability
As mentioned earlier RTO (return to origin) comes in effect when due to unknown or known reasons the parcel stands undelivered and as result needs to be returned to its sender or place of origin. This can prove to be an extra expense on part of the courier and delivery service providers. So, certain delivery providers keep it low in monetary terms.
Why is the call of being undelivered made?
The chances of failure in the delivery of the same may be subject to many reasons. Some of them are listed below.
- The unavailability of the recipient at the place of destination.
- The customer’s ignorance or negligence to accept the same.
- Failure in reaching the mentioned location.
- Failure of maximum re-attempts.
- Unanswered/ missed calls at times may also be the reason for the same.
- Unreachable customer or location.
With all these defaulting problems the next curiosity to one brain would be the process of carrying the respective process further. Mostly the undelivered package isn’t returned quickly. The mentioned points are involved in the course throwing light on the same procedure.
- Many service providers attempt three deliveries even after the rejection of the same.
- The service providers may call up to confirm the exact time of the delivery.
- Even tracking system/phone calls assist the consumer and the customer as well as courier service to be sure of the situation.
Generation of an RTO
When the receiver falls under any of the mentioned categories an RTO is generated to resend the parcel back to its original location. This can fall under any of the four categories as under:
- Reshipping instantly expecting a return.
- Reshipping without expecting any return.
- The waiting period of return is to be accomplished before returning.
- Waiting for return and cancellation.
In case of the absence of any action of the recipient, the shipment is sent back to the original warehouse after the generation of RTO. The complete rto process is initiated as per the conditions of the contract between the courier service and the sender. An extra shipment charge is charged in case of a return, which is paid at last by the seller/sender. That’s why some trading sectors add the minimum charge margins to the cost of the product, thus securing themselves from any extra expense burden.